I love freeform or freestyle crochet because there are no rules and you are only limited by your imagination! It is such a liberating way to create! I often use it to create wearable art such as jewellery or scarves and it is an amazing way to use that special one skein of yarn that you purchased that you had no idea what you were going to do with!
The piece you can see above was a necklace that I 'whipped up' when I was at the Australian Crochet Guild Conference earlier this year. I used some stunning Country Wide Yarn Mandala 8 ply and created this coral effect piece.
Ok, so lets start with...what is Freeform Crochet?
Freeform crochet is a unique and liberating form of crochet that allows you to create beautiful and intricate designs using just your imagination. Unlike traditional crochet patterns that follow specific instructions, freeform crochet encourages you to let your creativity run wild and create one-of-a-kind pieces that are truly unique.
All you need is a basic knowledge of different stitches and mathematics. The basis stitches so you can create different textures and the mathematics so you can factor in increases and decreases etc.
How Does Freeform Crochet Work?
With freeform crochet, there are no rules or limitations. You can use any stitch, any color, and any combination of stitches to create your masterpiece. It's all about experimenting and exploring different techniques to achieve the desired effect.
Start by selecting a variety of yarns in different colors, textures, and thicknesses. This will add depth and dimension to your work. Then, grab your crochet hook and let your imagination guide you. You can create shapes, patterns, and textures by combining different stitches such as single crochet, double crochet, and treble crochet.
One of the key aspects of freeform crochet is the ability to seamlessly blend different elements together. You can add embellishments like beads, buttons, and ribbons to enhance the overall look of your piece. The possibilities are endless!
I created this piece at the Australian Crochet Guild Conference earlier this year as well and was totally blown away when Dedri Uys came running over to check it out!
Why Choose Freeform Crochet?
Freeform crochet offers a myriad of benefits for both beginners and experienced crocheters:
1. Creativity: Freeform crochet allows you to express your creativity and create truly unique pieces that reflect your personal style.
2. Relaxation: Crocheting is known for its therapeutic benefits, and freeform crochet takes it to the next level. It's a meditative process that helps you relax and unwind.
3. Skill Development: Freeform crochet challenges you to think outside the box and develop new techniques. It's a great way to expand your crochet skills and learn new stitches.
4. Versatility: With freeform crochet, you can create anything from scarves and shawls to blankets and wall hangings. The possibilities are endless!
Tips for Getting Started with Freeform Crochet
Ready to dive into the world of freeform crochet? Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Grab your yarn and hook! Any yarn will work and you don't have to be bound by rules with hook sizes either. I like to use special yarns that I can 'show off' and I choose a hook size based on the degree of 'drape' or 'fall' of the yarn that I am trying to achieve. For example I wouldn't always use the recommend hook size, I recently made a piece with fingering weight yarn (4 ply/CYC 2) and used a larger hook than recommended, a 4,5mm hook, because I wanted large, lacy stitches!
2. Gather Inspiration: Look for inspiration in nature, art, and everyday objects. Take photos, collect color swatches, and create a mood board to spark your creativity.
3. Start Small: Begin with a small project like a coaster or a patchwork square. This will allow you to experiment with different stitches and techniques without feeling overwhelmed.
4. Embrace Imperfections: Freeform crochet is all about embracing imperfections and celebrating the uniqueness of each piece. Don't worry about making mistakes; they often lead to unexpected and beautiful results.
5. Join Online Communities: Connect with fellow freeform crocheters through online forums and social media groups. Share your work, ask for advice, and learn from others.
6. Attend a class: There are some amazing classes available online and in person. We are planning to hold one here at the Yarn Me Calm Fibre Art Studio so keep an eye on our classes schedule if you are planning to be in the Portarlington area!
Unleash Your Creativity
Freeform crochet is a wonderful way to unleash your creativity and create stunning pieces that are truly one-of-a-kind. So grab your crochet hook, let your imagination soar, and embark on a journey of self-expression through the art of freeform crochet. The possibilities are endless, and the results are sure to be breathtaking!