I created this little bit of cuteness (if I do say so myself!) a while ago for the Crochet Guild Australia's newsletter!
I was super excited when we got our very own Crochet Guild here in Australia in 2019 and I joined up straight away! The absolutely amazing Jenny King is the President, if you don't know her work she is a fibre artist and designer extraordinaire!
They held their inaugural Conference this year in Queensland and while I would have loved to have attended, the pandemic and ensuing restrictions here in Melbourne made it a bit tricky. But hey, I'm anticipating they will hold many more so expect to see me there in the future!
If you'd like to join the guild here is the link https://crochetguildaustralia.org.au/
I’d like to give a shout out to a phenomenal human, Simone H. Simone is my (yep mine) phenomenal pattern tester extraordinaire and just an all round lovely person! Simone tested this little pattern for me at a moments notice and I am super grateful as she picked up on a couple of little ‘boo boos’ for me! You can follow her amazing work on Instagram @simone.makes
This little Mandala is easy to create but uses some different techniques and stitches making it a bit of fun! You could attach your finished Mandala to a small hoop or you could join them together to create a gorgeous throw!
I have used Scheepjes Catona to create my Flower Puff Mini Mandala as it holds the definition of the stitches well and has a gorgeous colour range. Scheepjes Catona is a 4 ply mercerised cotton and I used 8 different colours. I used a 3.25mm Tulip Etimo Red Hook (these are currently my fave).
Stitches used & abbreviations:
US Terms used throughout.
Ch - chain
Ss - slip stitch
St - stitch
Sc - single crochet
Hdc - half double crochet
Dc - double crochet
Blo - back loop only
Fpsc - front post single crochet
Bpsc - back post single crochet
Bphdc - back post half double crochet
Fphdc - front post half double crochet
Fpdc - front post double crochet
Bpdc - back post double crochet
Pc - popcorn
Puff - puff stitch
Beginning popcorn stitch:
Chain 3, 4 treble into the same space. Remove the hook from the stitch and pull up the loop slightly. Insert the hook in the top of the starting chain 3, pick up the loop that you pulled up earlier and pull through.
yarn over, insert hook, yarn over and pull up a loop x4, yarn over, pull through all loops and ch1.
And now for the pattern!!!
Using Colour 1:
- ch3 (counts as first hdc),
- 5 hdc into the 3rd ch from the hook,
- ss to ch3 (6 x hdc)
- 1 beginning pc, ch 2,
- *1 popcorn, ch2*
- Repeat ** 4 times.
- Join with a ss to the first pc.
- End off and weave in ends. (6 x pc, 12 x ch)
Using Colour 2:
- Join with a standing dc (you can substitute for ch3 - this acts as the first dc) into the ch2, gap between any 2 pc, dc4.
- Skip the pc, dc5 into the ch2 gap, repeat 4 times.
- Join with a ss to the standing dc.
- End off and weave in ends. (30)
Using Colour 3:
- Join with a standing bphdc around any dc from the previous round.
- 1 bphdc around each stitch.
- Join with a ss to the first bphdc.
- Fasten off and weave in ends. (30)
Using Colour 4:
R5 (you will be working in both round 2 and round 4 in this round - if working into round 2 it will be clearly stated - if not you will work into stitches from round 4 as normal)
- Join with a standing fpdc around any pc from round 2.
- Ch3 and skip 3 st (including the stitch behind the fpdc you have just completed). Bpsc 1, ch 3, skip 2 st.
- Fpdc around the next pc from round 2, ch 3 and sk 3 st (including the stitch behind the fpdc you have just completed), bpsc1, ch3 skip 2 st, repeat 4 more times.
- Join with a ss to the standing fpdc.
- Fasten off and weave in ends. (6 x fpdc, 6 x bpsc, 36 x ch)
Using Colour 5:
- Join with a fpsc around any fpdc from round 5.
- Sc 3 in the next ch 3 sp, sk the bpsc, ch 3, sc 3 in the next ch 3 sp, fpsc around the fpdc from round 5, repeat 4 more times
- Join with a ss to the beginning fpsc.
- Fasten off and weave in ends. (36 x sc, 6 x fpsc, 18 x ch)
Using Colour 6:
- Join in any ch 3 space.
- 1 puff stitch in ch 3 space, ch 2, 1 puff stitch in the same space.
- Working in the Blo sc 7, repeat 5 times. 3 sc.
- Join with a ss to the closing ch of the first puff stitch.
- Fasten off and weave in ends. (12 x puff stitch, 42 x bloc, 12 x ch)
Using Colour 7:
- Join with a fphdc around any first puff stitch.
- Hdc 3 in the ch space, fphdc around the next puff stitch.
- Hdc 7, fphdc around the puff stitch, hdc 3, fphdc around the next puff stitch. Repeat 5 times. Hdc 7 and join with a ss to the first fphdc.
- Fasten off and weave in ends. (60 x hdc, 12 x fphdc)
Using Colour 8:
- Join with a fphdc around any first fphdc from round 8, bphdc 3, fphdc around the next fphdc.
- Bpdc around the 7 stitches.
- Fphdc 1, bphdc 3, fphdc, bpdc 7 repeat 4 times.
- ss to the first fphdc.
- Fasten off and weave in ends. (12 x fphdc, 18 x bphdc, 42 x bpdc)
Using Colour 2:
- Join with a bpsc in any stitch.
- Bpsc in each stitch and join with a ss to the beginning stitch.
- Fasten off and weave in ends. (72 x bpsc)
Using Colour 7:
- Join with a sc in any stitch. Sc in each stitch.
- Fasten off and weave in ends. (72 x sc).
You are welcome to share the pattern, however please acknowledge that the design belongs to Yarn Me Calm respecting my rights as a designer, thank you!
I do my best to make sure that there aren't any errors but hey, I'm human! If you do find any bugs in the pattern please don't hesitate to contact me via email so I can iron them out!
I am not perfect so I definitely make mistakes!
If you have questions about this pattern, please contact me at
I hope you enjoy the pattern!